Thursday, July 10, 2008

Visit with Grandma-ma




We had several good visits with Grandma-ma while we were home. (Meg, in her fledgling Yankee accent, couldn't say Grandmama as a little kid. So it turned into Grand-ma-ma, which is quite fitting anyway!) She likes to go out on her front porch late every afternoon and usually for a walk down her long driveway. It's a great place to visit with her, especially when the kids would go, too. They were able to run and play and have fun pretending, and Grandmama enjoyed watching them do it all. She tells the best stories these days. At 89 1/2 years old, she's got some memories to share. I used to get concerned about her calling Meg me and that she couldn't remember things from yesterday and then spend my whole time trying to get her to remember. But now, I figure that her memories are precious and there is only so much more time to hear them. So I don't fight it anymore; I just enjoy it.


These are just some pictures from the front porch. I thought that I had taken more pictures of the house. Turns out, I didn't take a single one! Ellen Claire and Will played hide and go seek. This is EC "hiding" in the middle of the yard! To be in her mind...


Oh how I love this yard! There are plants that my Great Grandmother planted 59 years ago when the house was built. And the gardenias...only my favorite! One of my "icks" about leaving Tallahassee is that I left behind my gardenia plant started from a cutting from Grandmama's. One day when I get back to God's Land where the weather is better and the tea sweeter, I'm making a ton of rootings! I paid $35 for a little gardenia plant this summer, just to have Jack kill it while I was gone! The leaves are all brown, but the stalks are still green, so I'm hopeful. I'm even trying to convince him to build me a little greenhouse lean-to to try to overwinter it :)

No comments: