Monday, August 25, 2008

Overnight to Mackinac Island!


Jack and I had the rare chance to get away for an overnight visit to Mackinac (pronounced like Mack-a-naw) Island. It was an early anniversary trip and one that we would have never been able to take if Reese hadn't offered to man the fort back at the cabin with the 5 kids I had in my keeping! If you ever get the chance to go to the Island, you just have to take it. It is by far one of my favorite places. Check out http://www.mackinacisland.org/ to see all about it! There are no cars, only bikes and horses...lots of walking and amazing scenery. The Grand Hotel and Arch Rock are two places that we've never seen before this visit!

We rented our bikes and, for this visit, did more than just the 8 mile perimeter ride that we've done every time before. I say 'every time' but Jack took me the first summer I ever visited back in 1992 and then never wanted to go back! We talked him into going again when Mike wanted to show it to Amy 2 years ago. Emily and I went last year with the kids, but I've never spent the night. Anyway, we didn't visit the fort this time, opting instead to explore the interior of the island on our bikes. There are great trails, all marked, and the "heart" of the island all around. We even found the cemetary where the Piedmont ancestors, the Biddles, are buried.
The Biddles were the first settlers of Mackinac Island and the house still stands (and is a tour-stop). The name "Agatha" still is used in the family!

Our staywas so much fun!!! The place EMPTIES at night, except for the locals and the people well, staying overnight. It was such a nice pace---so much slower and calmer. Jack and I got to see the bridge all lit up at night, shared a drink with one of the local shop owners and wake up with the island! Thank you, Reese and Jack, for the great trip.

No comments: